July, 2012 I helped Erin Borges create elements for a table sponsored by her husband for the Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce 2012 Business Excellence Awards. Local businesses are selected to participate in the event.
Here were the rules:
- Decorate one table for 10 guests to promote your business or organization. Be creative to leave a lasting impression for those who will be seated at your table as well as all attendees as they review the room.
- Dinnerware, silverware, glassware, and white table linens will be provided (but you may provide your own if you would prefer a different color). You will be responsible for folding the white napkins.
- Two awards will be given for the best Design-a-Tables: The Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce Chair Award and the Business Excellence Committee Award.
- Provide 10 individual “gifts” for your table. This is important as this will be how each guest will remember your business representation. Based on past “Design-a-Table” reviews, the gifts were one of the most highly anticipated features.
- No open alcoholic beverages or balloons may be used as favors or decorations.
- Table decorations must be no higher than 12”.
Erin created the “spine” theme and without looking like it was Halloween or “cartoonish”, an elegant color scheme and materials were used. I designed a spine pattern for the table cloth, uploaded it to Spoonflower and had the custom fabric printed. Erin found the clear acrylic box to hold the gifts for the attendees. Tea light holders were stacked inside and looked like a spine! So cool! The recipient also received a gift card for chiropractic services from Dr. Borges. But we couldn’t just use a standard gift card, oh no, too blah! I cut acrylic and sandwiched the gift certificate in-between the layers to coordinate with the clear & silver used throughout the table.
Erin did such an amazing job designing the table and it was so different from all the others. We were fighting for the win but sadly, no such luck. We were defeated and didn’t take home either award 😦
Venue: Monterey Conference Center
Table Sponsor: Dr. Shawn C. Borges
Floral, tablescape and concept: Erin Borges Event Design
Rental: Hartmann Studios